The Game Plan
My CF appointment this week was pretty uneventful in that it only confirmed three things: it's time for IV antibiotics, it's time to try a new IV antibiotic, and, as usual, it's going to be complicated.
And there ya have it folks! I am happy to report that I am doing just fine mentally and emotionally; just anxious for the physical to catch up.
Starting the process: I will have a tunneled IV placed Monday afternoon and will be admitted to the hospital right after.
A new antibiotic: Since my cultures are so resistant, it's time to try a new antibiotic (along with at least one other IV antibiotic.) Because of this, I will have to stay in the hospital a few days to monitor for any adverse reactions I might have. Hopefully I will have none and this med will become a much needed weapon in my arsenal.
The complicated part: For a few weeks now, infection-induced inflammation [say that 3 times fast!] has been wreaking havoc on most parts of my body, including of course my blood clots...on both sides. Since the IV line further aggravates my veins and promotes clotting, this is the least desirable time to insert a line.
Ideally I would have been admitted this week with my health the way it is, but as fate would have it my IR (Interventional Radiology) doc has been away all week. My body is complicated enough as it is, so I sure as hell am not trusting my jugulars to anyone else! That is the only reason why I have been waiting until Monday to get this party started. I will go into the hospital ahead of time to ultrasound both sides of my upper body and see which side is the lesser of the evils for a line.
Ideally I would have been admitted this week with my health the way it is, but as fate would have it my IR (Interventional Radiology) doc has been away all week. My body is complicated enough as it is, so I sure as hell am not trusting my jugulars to anyone else! That is the only reason why I have been waiting until Monday to get this party started. I will go into the hospital ahead of time to ultrasound both sides of my upper body and see which side is the lesser of the evils for a line.
And there ya have it folks! I am happy to report that I am doing just fine mentally and emotionally; just anxious for the physical to catch up.
Comments