"G" Day
With less than 24 hours to go before surgery, the nerves have started to set in. The surgery is scheduled for 7:30am tomorrow and I have to be at the hospital for 5:30am, which means we'll be hitting the road no later than 4:30am. While they have scheduled the OR for two hours, the surgery will most likely finish sooner. Mark will update my blog as soon as possible, but the email notifications only go out every two hours, so you may not get an email notification right away. If all goes well it will be an easy laparoscopic procedure requiring only four small incisions. It is not so much the surgery that is making me nervous, more so the anesthesia/intubation. Let's take a trip down memory lane, shall we...
For those of you who may not remember, the last time I went under general anesthesia while intubated was back in 2009 when I was having a procedure to stop my lungs from bleeding. During the procedure my lungs hemorrhaged and I woke up two days later in the ICU. Mark and my mom were there with me that day and were at the forefront of all the drama, so I think they are even more nervous than I am. I know that those were different circumstances and I spoke at length with the consulting anesthesiologist about my concerns. He rightly pointed out that back then my lungs were actively bleeding prior to that surgery and this time they are not. He also reassured me that they have protocols in place in case that were to ever happen again. In my brain I know that he's absolutely right, I'm just feeling a little gun shy and it doesn't help that last night forgotten memories began coming back to me.
So here's what I am hoping/praying/wishing for, feel free to join me:
For those of you who may not remember, the last time I went under general anesthesia while intubated was back in 2009 when I was having a procedure to stop my lungs from bleeding. During the procedure my lungs hemorrhaged and I woke up two days later in the ICU. Mark and my mom were there with me that day and were at the forefront of all the drama, so I think they are even more nervous than I am. I know that those were different circumstances and I spoke at length with the consulting anesthesiologist about my concerns. He rightly pointed out that back then my lungs were actively bleeding prior to that surgery and this time they are not. He also reassured me that they have protocols in place in case that were to ever happen again. In my brain I know that he's absolutely right, I'm just feeling a little gun shy and it doesn't help that last night forgotten memories began coming back to me.
So here's what I am hoping/praying/wishing for, feel free to join me:
- That there are no complications with my lungs under anesthesia
- That there are no complications with the surgery that would require changing to an "open procedure" (when they have to cut you open)
- Peace and comfort for my mom and Mark while they
impatiently wait to hear that the surgery is over and everything went well.
My brain knows that everything is going to be just fine and that 36 hours from now I'll be happy that it's all over with, my heart just has to catch up.
Comments