The Flip Side

     An unexpected phone call this morning from one of my dearest friends prompted an afternoon of deep thought.  I couldn't help but spend the entire day thinking about all of the people I know going through their own personal challenges this Thanksgiving.  Some are family, some are close friends, some are acquaintances, but all of them are people I think about often.

     Their experiences run the gamut of separation, break-up, loss, a child in the ICU waiting for an organ transplant, a first Thanksgiving after losing a spouse, and a few that can feel the hour glass ticking on holidays spent with their loved ones.  The empathy I felt today was overwhelming and I can't stop thinking about them.  I also can't help but think of all the strangers I'll never know who will spend this Thanksgiving in a hospital room, mourning a loss, feeling alone, or clinging to a box of tissues.  While I am lucky enough to be healthy and happy this November, I have been on the other side the past few years and am so incredibly grateful.  

     It is not breaking news that we should appreciate all that we have, but it is something that is too easily taken for granted.  My heart goes out to everyone going through a tough time and I will continue to hope/wish/pray that they hang in there and that they have their own support system to make the hard times a little easier.  I hope that they continue to feel peace and joy in each moment...and don't forget to breathe.        
     

Comments

Melanie said…
Love the ending of this, Don't forget to breathe.. I love you:) use that after everything you wright. If not no biggy
Melanie said…
P.S. that was Mark