On Top of the World
'Tis the season for joy, peace and love...and my heart is overflowing with it all.
Despite a few 'hiccups' here and there and a challenging past few days, my health has been pretty damn good! I've been able to hold my own on only one inhaled antibiotic for over 2 weeks now, which might not seem very long, but feels like an eternity considering it's the longest I've gone in over a year. I don't often write about the times I'm feeling well for fear of jinxing it (I know all too well how abruptly things can change) and, if I'm being honest, because these times have been far and few between the past few years. So when I'm fortunate enough to feel well I really take the time to relish in it and appreciate it with all that I have.
As if that weren't gift enough, feeling well has given me the luxury to pursue my passion of giving, which in turn makes me feel even healthier and happier. The opportunities to help others and spread joy this time of year are infinite and being able to share the experiences with Myles and get him involved has been simply amazing. Children have such pure hearts and are filled with such wonderment; some moments I have to pinch myself because it feels like he and I are trapped in a Norman Rockwell painting. Some moments.
Then at the opposite end of the spectrum, walking around any shopping mall this time of year can be quite dismal. Most of us try to get in and out as quickly as possible, but whenever I pause to take notice of all the passersby I am pressed to see smiles or find much joy. Instead I see exhaustion; people feverishly wondering around spending their hard-earned cash--or even worse, retirement money--on gifts that will mostly likely earn them a lukewarm reception and an unappreciative request for the receipts to return them. That's the funny thing about this country: we have so many people struggling to make it by coinciding with an entitled future that has an insatiable hunger for more, incapable of appreciating what is.
Any parent of young, impressionable children trying to combat the 'gimme monster' is fighting an uphill battle, but I for one will not stop trying my damnedest. I am not waxing poetic when I say that there is absolutely no monetary gift that could make me any happier than I am right now. I have my health, my mind, my nearest & dearest, a warm place to live and yummy food to eat; what more could I possibly want? Honestly. Unless of course someone wanted to pay off my mortgage, then by all means twist my arm and go right ahead!
No matter what this time of year means to you or even if it means nothing at all, I wish you whatever brings your heart joy and peace. And if you're ever pressed to feel gratitude, just think about someone you know who's not so lucky.
Life is

Comments