So Long Steroids

     This week I met with the new (and third) rheumatologist.  The hour-long meeting went very well and it was noticeable that her wheels were turning.  To be fair, I've liked all three rheumatologists after the first meeting, so we'll see what happens in the upcoming visits.  But my dear friend Carol - who is an excellent judge of character - came into the appt. with me and also gave rave reviews.  The doctor had an excellent 'bed side manner,' asked all the right questions, and seemed very knowledgeable about CF (a must!)  Not much came of the appointment because she said that it's clear that the prednisone is treating whatever is going on, so she wants me to taper off of the prednisone and then go back for an evaluation.  Tapering off of the prednisone is probably going to open up a can of worms in terms of a resurgence of pain, possible bleeding and vein issues, but it makes total sense and I agree with her.  I'm beginning the taper today and should be completely off of the prednisone in three weeks.  One thing she was very outright about was that other immune-suppressants would just be too harmful, and therefore not an option.  

    Was the appointment miraculous?  No.  But I do feel hopeful that she may come up with some out-of-the-box ideas.  I guess only time will tell.  

Comments