A Bump in the Road

*Warning:  There are a few gross, gory details in the following post.  You might want to skip the first paragraph if you don't like yucky medical stuff or can't stomach it.*

     Yesterday I had to make an unexpected urgent "sick" visit to my CF doctor. It all began Monday morning when - out of nowhere - I had the worst asthma attack I've ever had in my life.  I have never experienced anything like it before and it completely bulldozed me.  I'll spare you all of the details, but it ultimately lead to an episode of hemoptysis (bleeding from the lungs) and the coughing up of a few mucus plugs (I know, disgusting!)  When I went in to see my doc she had x-rays taken, which showed even more mucus plugs in a few different areas.  We're not entirely sure what caused the severe asthma attack, but she seemed pretty confident that it was the mucus plugs (click for more info.)  Another possible cause could have been allergies (I had been off of my allergy med for a few days.)  And, while she doesn't think that the prednisone taper was the cause, she does think that tapering off of it is going to be problematic, so she wants me to prolong the taper over 6 weeks instead of 3.  I haven't mentioned this to the new rheumatologist yet, but I'm sure she'll be okay with it.  My intuition tells me that complications will prevent me from fully tapering off of the prednisone, but all I can do it just take things day-by-day and see what happens.  

     My CF doc did not have me do PFT's (breathing tests) yesterday because she did not want to further aggravate my lungs.  The plan is to take Cipro for two weeks and to start my inhaled antibiotic (Tobi) once I feel like my lungs can tolerate it (it's kind of harsh.)  I'm going back to see her in two weeks and if I'm not better by then or if I get worse between here and there, it will be time for a hospitalization.  

     When the time does come for the next hospitalization, it will be extremely nerve-racking because of my IV/blood clot issues, however both my CF doc and I are amazed that I've made it six months without IVs, so I'm counting my blessings.  And honestly, it would be a million times less stressful if it happens while Mark is home, saving us from the additional worry of arranging care for Myles.  Everything happens for a reason and I am keeping myself open to that notion.                      

Comments