Very Exciting News!


Hello, my friends. It's been a while and I've missed connecting with you all. There's been much going on, so without further ado, I'd like to share some big news. 

It is with both excitement and trepidation that I will be speaking on two panels at this year's North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference (NACFC), the world's largest event showcasing advances in CF research and care. Approximately 5,000 healthcare professionals will attend from more than a dozen countries. 

Due to infection protocols, CF patients are not allowed to attend but can watch some of it livestreamed or view archived videos. Since those living with CF cannot attend in person, only a handful of us have been invited to speak and it will be carefully orchestrated that we avoid one another. In other words, out of 30,000 US CF patients, I'm one of the few being flown out to present this year (no pressure!).

I am deeply honored...and petrified. If you've been following my blog, you know public speaking doesn't come easily to me and this will be the largest audience I've ever spoken to; the first panel will be an estimated audience of 300-400 and the second panel will have 5,000 attending [gulp!]. Luckily both panels are collaborative so I only have to speak for small segments at a time.

In addition to the two panels, I will also be moderating and answering questions on FB Live (details below) but I enjoy Q&A's so I'm less anxious about that. 

Now here's where I need your help: 

Despite recently finishing a course of antibiotics, I had a large amount of bleeding from my lungs (hemoptysis) less than a week ago. I'm talking a lot! It was the most since my embolization back in February and my CF doc says that if it happens again before NACFC it won't be safe for me to go. 

That was tough to hear as I've been working for months preparing for the Conference. Yes, I may only be speaking in several small segments, but so much more work has gone into it behind the scenes. For months there have been weekly meetings, countless emails, writing, rewriting, and more rewriting, helping the other panelists edit their content, etc. (hence why I haven't posted in so long.) 

To have been working so hard on this for so long, the thought of possibly not going is unbearable. So I'm asking for your positive vibes, prayers, stand on your head -- anything at all -- to bring me a little luck and get me to NACFC safely. I just have to get through these next two weeks and then I can fall apart if need be. Fingers crossed.

If you'd like to watch my panels you can do so for free, you just have to register with the CF Foundation and create a password by clicking here (**Please note the blurb about live stream viewing in red at the bottom and feel free to contact me if you have any questions):

https://arc.nacfconference.org/cff/live/31/page/199? *Under discipline click "other" and type anything in the box, that part doesn't matter. Once registered it will take you to the livestream event list, you must click "add to cart" (it's free). Here are my panels:

  • Friday, October 19, 2018. This cannot be live streamed, however, it will be recorded and can eventually be viewed in the NACFC archives.


  • Plenary 3 (P3), Saturday, October 20, 2018, 11 am - 12:10 pm EDT    *This will be live streamed through the CFF portal.  


  • FB Live: Saturday, October 20, 2018, 2:15 - 2:30 EDT                            On the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's Facebook page we will be taking questions live from viewers. It will also be archived on the CFF FB page so no worries if you can't catch it live. 


This is yet another opportunity for me to step outside of my comfort zone and grow. Another chance to fulfill my wish to contribute to the greater good. And last but not least, a chance to show Myles that I'm facing my fears and trying to help others. He may not get it now, but I hope one day he'll look back at this experience and be proud of me. 

    

Comments

Didi said…
Melly, my heart is bursting with pride and joy. You are amazing!! I will pray and I will send positive vibes that your lungs behave themselves for 2 more weeks. Go get ‘Em girl!
LK said…
Sending much love and prayers Mel!!! You are an amazing human being. Prayers from all of us at Meghans' Light.
You've got this Mel!! I am sending all the positive energy I have that your lungs calm down and behave, and you knock their sox off in Denver! I believe in you xxx
Unknown said…
You got this Mel! You will be awesome! I will definitely watch you! You will be amazing! You got this girl! Love you😘 sending hopes and dreams and that you have the power to fulfill won of your dreams!
Debbie said…
Keeping you in the light Miss Melanie 🙏🙏🙏 so proud of you. You are simply amazing and have so much to offer. Positive thoughts and vibes heading your way. Love you 💖
Sandra houlihan said…
You got this Mel, so proud of you and I’m calling in all my people to pray and send good vibes! Can’t wait to watch your segments. Myles knows how amazing a Mom you are and lucky to call you his Mom! 🙏🙏❌⭕️❌⭕️👍❤️❤️
Lori Rezendes said…
This is so exciting! I’ll be praying hard for you! No surprise that you were chosen. I know that you will represent the CF community eloquently and proudly. ❤️🙏 They couldn’t have chosen a more perfect spokesperson. Speak from the heart, as you always do, and you can’t go wrong!
Susan Edmundson said…
I am sendings you prayer’s positive vibes! You are so amazing!!❤️
Anonymous said…
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. You will be fantastic, as always!
Love, Elaine
Unknown said…
Hey Mel
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. They couldn't have chosen a better person.
Mike and Sue Letourneau
MaryAnne Casserly said…
So proud of you Mel! You are such an inspiration for so many! How lucky are they to have you to convey your message of hope and strength! Love you and your wonderful mom!💖💕💜😘