A Colorful Perspective
I was fortunate to return home from the hospital last night and am so happy to be back in my own bed and with my loves. I am still not feeling very well, but that will come in time.
Per usual, time in the hospital means time for reflection. This time, I thought about how I always mention how much I adore my providers -- from doctors to nurses to environmental services (those who keep the hospitals clean) and everyone in between.
I have had the pleasure of being cared for by some of the most hardworking, kind and compassionate human beings...and many of them have been immigrants.
I have had clinicians from Turkey, Haiti, Nigeria, Ireland, Portugal, the Middle East, Israel, U.K., China and more.
I have bonded with Christians, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Mormons, and agnostics alike and hold all of them in the highest regard. Gay, straight, equally great!
You see, regardless of our differing personal views and life experiences we've connected on the purest level, the human one. Yes, we may be different in many ways, but there are things we all have in common as well. These clinicians have never let our differences get in the way of their care and I chose to judge her/him by the content of their character and their bedside manner, as opposed to where they were born or their religious beliefs.
This may seem out of left field but in today's tense immigration climate, I feel it is important to stand in my truth and give props where props are due. Some of my most favorite clinicians have been immigrants and they are the complete opposite of immigrant stereotypes. They are both exemplary and amazing.
This is not to say that I have not bonded with good American clinicians. On the contrary, I have many friends and family who work in the medical field who have the biggest hearts and are so dedicated; patients are lucky to be in her/his care. I would just like to see a little more openness to seeing one another for who we are and not through the lens of our preconceived notions.
I would have missed out on so many extraordinary relationships and experienced dreadful hospital stays had I done the latter. Instead, my hospital stays have been joyful and heartfelt. My world is beautiful because of the diversity and humanity in it. I imagine the rest of the world is too.
Comments