Footloose and Filter-Free



"I can't believe you said that!" is a phrase I've heard from friends and family more times than I can count. I don't have much of a filter and say whatever pops into my mind more often than not. I do so because I know my intention is never malicious or hurtful, but rather of love and a general fondness of my fellow humans.

I try to see the good in the world as much as possible and live for small talk with strangers and loved ones alike. That being said, there have been many a time I've had my foot in my mouth and cringed at some of the words that flew out before I could catch them--not because I said something mean, more so comically cringe-worthy or inappropriate, like the time I told a revered physician that I was "just busting [his] balls" (see, totally cringe-worthy!) I may have the best intentions in the world, yet not all thoughts are necessary to share, I get it.

But then there was the other day when I was checking out at Target. My day hadn't been going so well and my energy was running low. A cashier's job at any kind of grocery store can often be a mundane, thankless job where it becomes easy to just go through the motions. My cashier that day happened to be a quiet, middle-aged woman who kept her head down for the most part. As I watched her scan my items and bag them I noticed that she was thoughtfully grouping my items and carefully placing them in a tactful manor. She took pride in her job and deserved a shout-out. So without even thinking I blurted out "I really appreciate your thoughtful bagging."

Her face sprung up and her eyes had a sudden twinkle in them. "Thank you," she gasped, " I was hoping someone would say that!"

Wow. Something so minuscule had transformed the energy of two people. One tiny thought now had us both smiling ear-to-ear. My lack of a filter was able to make someone feel valued and her small happiness in turn brightened up my whole day.  

In that very moment I realized it is far better to continue a life with less of a filter and risk a little embarrassment than to filter myself more and miss out on opportunities to make someone smile. So filter-free I shall remain. 


Comments

Unknown said…
Oh my gosh, I love this!! I had a similar Target experience the other day...as I got out of my car, the woman next to me was struggling to fit a stroller in her trunk. It should have been working but she couldn't get it. I smiled at her then walked by...then I actually turned around and went back and asked her if I could help. The poor woman. She said, "I think I'm just too tired. I do this every day and I can't get it right now. I don't know why but I'm exhausted." We figured it out though, and we both went on our way. Love you!
Anonymous said…
You are always thinking of someone else and kindness pours from your soul. It is the best and so are you! Love you so much! Auntie Millie
I love that story Mel, and yours too Elizabeth! Your kind words and actions really impacted someone's day- maybe even their week!
Anonymous said…
You would never need a filter. People appreciate your honesty and love your wit! Never change!! Love you, Elaine