Christmas in July


'What is this world coming to?' is a question I bet most of us have been asking ourselves lately. You can bury yourself under the biggest rock and still not escape the tragic hate-spewing that's running rampant in the world. There's too much of it weighing heavily on my heart and I feel a desperate need to combat the negative with some positive. What's the opposite of hate and violence? Love and kindness. 

Therefore let's spread more of it; like a pebble dropping into a lake, if we all make our little ripples they will combine to make a bigger ripple overall. I sat pondering ways to spread joy and for some bizarre reason the first thing that popped in my mind was 'Christmas in July' which led to this idea...

All are welcome to join me in a toy drive for Boston Children's Hospital. For the rest of July I will be collecting new packaged toys, art supplies, movies and books to deliver to the hospital. We all know it sucks to be in the hospital any time of year, but it especially sucks in the summer when you know your friends are out having lots of fun in the sun. I know because I was that kid and I've seen my niece go through it as well. So lets cheer some kids up, shall we?

My lovely friend Dr. Kate Marmelo is graciously allowing me to leave a drop box for toys at Pearl Vision (83 Faunce Corner Rd. Dartmouth, MA 02747) now through July 30, 2016. Or for those of you who know where I live, you can feel free to drop off at my house or contact me and I will gladly meet you somewhere to pick up. Below is the hospital's guide for toy donations with more information. If you'd like to start your own collection, the more the merrier!

This idea is not grand nor the most philanthropic, but it's a start and will hopefully bring a few smiles to kids in the hospital. We may not be able to change the world, but spreading kindness is the next best thing and, best of all, it's contagious. Feel free to spread the word or share your ideas for other acts of kindness.

Love and peace.


Comments

Unknown said…
LOVE this idea! We will definitely participate! -Elizabeth
Anonymous said…
You are so thoughtful and I will certainly get some toys. What a great idea! Elaine
Didi said…
So exciting! Love it Melly. xoxox