A Perfect Storm
...To deplete me of any energy I had left.
Okay folks, I was so hoping my next post would not be a medical one, but it's been an eventful week. That being said, I don't have a ton of energy to expend, so please join me for a lightening round if you will:
Okay folks, I was so hoping my next post would not be a medical one, but it's been an eventful week. That being said, I don't have a ton of energy to expend, so please join me for a lightening round if you will:
- Last Friday (5/27) my kidney function was steadily increasing, so they discontinued 2 of my 3 meds that were harmful to kidneys. So I was left on one IV antibiotic and added oral Cipro. I was still having a hard time recovering from the embolization and still using oxygen to walk around.
- Sunday (5/29) was the start of a major pancreatitis attack; super painful and surprisingly linked to this time of year (literally something in the air?!) For 4+ days my diet consisted of electrolyte water, popsicles, and one handful of pretzels a day, but I was just happy to avoid another hospitalization.
- Wednesday (6/1) I got a phone call that the one remaining IV abx I was on was causing a specific drug-induced anemia and I had to stop it right away. This would explain why for days all I wanted to do was sleep.
- Thursday (6/2), aka yesterday, I was scheduled for PFTs, another walk test (to see if I still needed oxygen) and since I was no longer on IV abx, they were going to pull my IV line. However in addition to the fatigue I had also been experiencing some other abnormal respiratory symptoms, so they added a CT scan to rule out a pulmonary embolism (PE, a blood clot in the lungs.) The great news is that the CT scan did not show a PE, yet it did incidentally show a different kind of infection which means that I'm keeping my line and starting a new plan of attack. I will try 2 different IV abx and finish out the Cipro.
- I also failed my walk test again yesterday so I will continue to need oxygen when I walk for several minutes at a time. It's not normal for my oxygen to still be dropping, but this infection combined with the embolization could be the culprit.
- Today I was right back up at the hospital to take my first dose of a new IV med just to make sure there were no immediate adverse reactions. I will also be starting an iron supplement until the anemia passes.
I am grateful that the CT scan caught the infection before my line was pulled and that my team is so thorough and dedicated. My spirits are good, I just feel like a lump on a log. I am hopeful that once I can start eating a regular diet (soon!) and get my strength back to start walking/exercising again I'll turn the proverbial corner and start to feel better.
The past week has been another for the books. The new IV med can be hard on the kidneys as well, so join me in crossing my fingers that my body handles it well and the new med combo does the trick. Please and thank you :)
Comments