How Lucky are We?
I have a little secret to share. Normally I keep all of my wishes to myself, but I will make an exception. It might not be something you want to think about, but it's a genuine peak inside of my brain.
Primarily my wishes are for others, but for some reason when I turned 35 I began wishing for another 15 years. Maybe because 5 is my favorite number...or because 50 seems like a good, even age...or because Myles will have graduated high school by then...but mainly because that felt as far as I could push the limit without being too greedy.
In an attempt to will my wish true, the other day as I was meditating with every breath in I would wish Another 15 years and with every breath out I would think Thank you for the 35. Before I knew it I was overwhelmed with a ginormous amount of gratitude.
My mind raced to the multitude of lives lost each and every day. You can't watch 5 minutes of the news without seeing lives lost to tragedy, illness, or horrific acts of violence--many who died younger than us. Many of whom may never have had the chance to know what true love is...to have children...to travel...to live out their dreams...to find the beauty in simple normalcy, etc.
We are so damn lucky!
No matter what our circumstances, we are lucky to have this day, to have our breath, to have gained wisdom from our journeys, to have the wherewithal to be reading this right now, to be alive.
Life is not a right. It is a privilege. It is a privilege denied to so many.
Whether my wish comes true or not, I feel like the luckiest person on the planet for the life I've had, for all of the heartfelt connections I've made, and for the abundance of joy and love that fills my heart. I sincerely wish you all the same.

Comments