Drug Dreams
As another summer draws to a close I feel beyond fortunate that I've had a healthy few weeks...despite the usual blood clots, GI issues, blah blah blah. I've been holding my own, keeping my head above water and feeling more like myself than I have in a looooong time.
I credit my progress to a few things:
1) My GI doc figured out what was throwing my pancreas out of whack and had some easy solutions (still a work-in-progress),
2) My trusty Xango Juice (pricey, but it helps me every time nothing else will), and
3) Some good old fashioned luck. The only reason I didn't write about it sooner was for fear of jinxing myself.
Not much could be better than feeling well, except that it allowed me the opportunity to take part in an exciting clinical drug trial--a trial I've been waiting over 2 years for! While I'm not allowed to go into detail about the study nor mention the drug(s) by name, I can say that it's a CF gene-specific study that has very promising potential.
Yesterday I went for a lengthy screening process to qualify me for the trial and am ecstatic to report that it went very well. If things go as planned I would be able to start the trial drug in 3 weeks. The only necessity: that I stay healthy for the next 3 weeks.
Sounds easy enough, right? I thought so. That is, until I suddenly felt 'off' this morning and coughed up blood this afternoon. While it is a bit of a bummer, I'm holding steadfast to the optimistic notion that this bleed will be an isolated incident and that I will be able to start the trial as scheduled (Sept. 19). Once I start the trial I can seek my usual treatment options, but I have to enter the study at a 'healthy' baseline, so I'm trying my hardest to avoid medical intervention until then.
I've waited so long for this particular clinical trial and want it so desperately. It is for this reason I am asking for your help. Since I know the collective power of focused positive energy/prayers/whatever you want to call it, I am asking that you help me will a healthy 3 weeks. We've done it before and we can do it again...I just know it.
**Addendum: It's actually 4 weeks. Someone couldn't count ;)
I credit my progress to a few things:
1) My GI doc figured out what was throwing my pancreas out of whack and had some easy solutions (still a work-in-progress),
2) My trusty Xango Juice (pricey, but it helps me every time nothing else will), and
3) Some good old fashioned luck. The only reason I didn't write about it sooner was for fear of jinxing myself.
Not much could be better than feeling well, except that it allowed me the opportunity to take part in an exciting clinical drug trial--a trial I've been waiting over 2 years for! While I'm not allowed to go into detail about the study nor mention the drug(s) by name, I can say that it's a CF gene-specific study that has very promising potential.
Yesterday I went for a lengthy screening process to qualify me for the trial and am ecstatic to report that it went very well. If things go as planned I would be able to start the trial drug in 3 weeks. The only necessity: that I stay healthy for the next 3 weeks.
Sounds easy enough, right? I thought so. That is, until I suddenly felt 'off' this morning and coughed up blood this afternoon. While it is a bit of a bummer, I'm holding steadfast to the optimistic notion that this bleed will be an isolated incident and that I will be able to start the trial as scheduled (Sept. 19). Once I start the trial I can seek my usual treatment options, but I have to enter the study at a 'healthy' baseline, so I'm trying my hardest to avoid medical intervention until then.
I've waited so long for this particular clinical trial and want it so desperately. It is for this reason I am asking for your help. Since I know the collective power of focused positive energy/prayers/whatever you want to call it, I am asking that you help me will a healthy 3 weeks. We've done it before and we can do it again...I just know it.
**Addendum: It's actually 4 weeks. Someone couldn't count ;)
Comments