Disconnected...In a Good Way
About six months ago I became increasingly annoyed by society's obsession with technology - namely smartphones. They were everywhere and people just couldn't seem to take their eyes off of them. This in turn, caused me to become more aware of just how much I myself was guilty of this crime. And then, it happened... my husband got his first iPhone and it hit me like a ton of bricks just how annoying it I was.
Sometimes you need to take a good look in the mirror and admit your shortcomings in order to change them. Seeing how distracted my husband became once he entered the smartphone world was the perfect reflection I needed to acknowledge what I wanted to change about myself. Whether it's texting, Facebook, email, or any other app., when you're looking down at your phone it is impossible to be 'in the moment' and giving someone your full attention. It's basically like saying 'You aren't important enough to me' which can be downright offensive. And then there's my other reflection, Myles. Now that he's getting older and mimicking my every move, I feel it is my duty as his parent to lead by example and hope that it will make a small difference with his future technology obsessions. I realize I'm fighting an uphill battle there, but I'm going to give it my best shot dammit.
So I vowed to spend less time on my cell phone, to be more present with those around me, and to never text and drive - because that's the last thing that I want Myles to think is okay and because those commercials about texting and car accidents have actually struck a nerve. It wasn't an easy process and I still have ways to go, but I've come pretty far with my cell phone addiction and thought I'd share my experience. My main reason for writing about this is not to shame others or to lecture about it, but rather to share how letting go of my phone obsession has made me feel... which is pretty damn good!
I am honestly a little surprised by how good it has felt to free myself from the technology chains. I feel lighter, more present, and ironically more connected with the world around me. I have even gotten to a place where half the time I don't even know where my cell phone is, and I really like it. Ahhhhh, peace. That's not to say that technology is bad or that I don't enjoy it; I'm actually super grateful for it when I'm stuck in the hospital bored out of my mind or impatiently waiting for a doctor to email me back. Technology definitely has its perks, but my life feels better with less of it. Unless of course if you read my blog on your smartphone, then you should by all means keep checking it ;)
Sometimes you need to take a good look in the mirror and admit your shortcomings in order to change them. Seeing how distracted my husband became once he entered the smartphone world was the perfect reflection I needed to acknowledge what I wanted to change about myself. Whether it's texting, Facebook, email, or any other app., when you're looking down at your phone it is impossible to be 'in the moment' and giving someone your full attention. It's basically like saying 'You aren't important enough to me' which can be downright offensive. And then there's my other reflection, Myles. Now that he's getting older and mimicking my every move, I feel it is my duty as his parent to lead by example and hope that it will make a small difference with his future technology obsessions. I realize I'm fighting an uphill battle there, but I'm going to give it my best shot dammit.
So I vowed to spend less time on my cell phone, to be more present with those around me, and to never text and drive - because that's the last thing that I want Myles to think is okay and because those commercials about texting and car accidents have actually struck a nerve. It wasn't an easy process and I still have ways to go, but I've come pretty far with my cell phone addiction and thought I'd share my experience. My main reason for writing about this is not to shame others or to lecture about it, but rather to share how letting go of my phone obsession has made me feel... which is pretty damn good!
I am honestly a little surprised by how good it has felt to free myself from the technology chains. I feel lighter, more present, and ironically more connected with the world around me. I have even gotten to a place where half the time I don't even know where my cell phone is, and I really like it. Ahhhhh, peace. That's not to say that technology is bad or that I don't enjoy it; I'm actually super grateful for it when I'm stuck in the hospital bored out of my mind or impatiently waiting for a doctor to email me back. Technology definitely has its perks, but my life feels better with less of it. Unless of course if you read my blog on your smartphone, then you should by all means keep checking it ;)
Comments
Nikki
Elaine