Pure Elation

     My family and I were at a festival-type event this past weekend that included live bands and free fire engine rides.  As soon as Myles spotted the fire engine it became his personal mission to get on it.  Each time the fire engine pulled back into the field we would try to squeeze our way on, but disorganization and a crowd of tipsy adults were making it nearly impossible.  Since Myles' bedtime was quickly approaching, we gave him the "...not this time..." spiel and went back over by the music.  

A little boy whom we had never met before came over, grabbed Myles' hands and tried to dance with him.  Myles wasn't quite sure what to make of the friendly gesture, but as you'll see at the end of this short video clip, our niece came over to tell Myles that the fire engine was back and the look that came upon his face was absolutely priceless...   

(I've posted two versions of the video because one wouldn't open on apple devices)


     Remember the days when something so simple brought us such pure elation?  Or when we felt so free of preconceived notions and judgements that we could grab a stranger to dance (without being intoxicated that is)?  There is a lot about children's innocence that I admire - the pureness in their hearts, their unbridled honesty, and the sparkle in their eyes that can shine radiantly like a beacon, just to name a few.  It truly makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to witness something so magical and I feel privileged to have a front row seat.

     While it is unrealistic to expect that innocence to last into adulthood, I hope that we as adults can still remain open to the fact that so much joy can come from the simplest of things...and sometimes no'thing' at all.

**Side note:  If you can't see the video clearly, let me know and I can email it to you.


Comments

Anonymous said…
We can all learn so much from our little ones. Love it. Denise
Anonymous said…
So precious - and so glad you were feeling up to being out and enjoying the festival. Elaine
Anonymous said…
Glad you had a fun day! There is not a day that goes by where my kids don't put a smile on my face! We are so lucky to have them to keep things in perspective. Loved the video, thanks for sharing with us! XO lizzy
Debbie said…
Priceless!!!!Glad you had a fun day. Hope all is well. Thinking of you often. Lots of Love, Auntie Debbie
Anonymous said…
OMG, he is the best! did he get on the fire truck? If not, I have an "IN" and can get him on one whenever he wants :) xoxo Nikki